Monday, September 14, 2009

The Symbolism of Music in "A Jury of Her Peers"

To be able to sing is a freedom which Minnie Foster had at one point in her life. After marrying Mr. Wright, she lost this freedom and was ignored constantly, making her life sad and depressing."She used to wear pretty clothes and be lively -- when she was Minnie Foster, one of the town girls singing in the choir." (Pg. 27) Before she was married, she was free to sing and be happy, but after her wedding, there was no more music. Without music in one's life, there is no happiness, and this was how Minnie Foster lived for a passel of years. Finally, after a long, lonesome time, Minnie got herself a bird. The bird sang and brought happiness back into her life, Mr. Wright did not approve. He killed the bird and broke Minnie's heart. Then she realized that she needed to take charge and stand up for herself; she understood that she could not go on forever without the happiness that music brought her. Without music, there is silence and nobody should have to live a silent life.

10 comments:

  1. Karen,
    I love the part where you talk about not having to live a silent life. Also, the quote fits perfectly with your entry. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought about saying taht music was the main point, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that the way you focused your paragraph around the music was a really awesome idea, that I hadf never even thought about. The quote you chose was really cool. Maybe next time include more text evidence, but I thought that it was a very cool and interesting piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is cool that you were able to display text evidence in your response. Also, nice vocabulary--I have no idea what the word "passel" means!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like how you were able to pull a quote of the story to prove your point that Minnie was once free.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made it really clear that her husband made her life miserable and she had to do something about it. I thought you used semi colons, and dash construction well. I noticed that maybe you could used pronouns like he and she a little less. Also you started two sentences with "Without music..." so just try to have a variety of beginnings to your sentences. The ideas you have always impress me and make me think differently of the story. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your idea of the music being a big part in the story, I never thought of it that way. Also, I like that you used a quote to prove your point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. can't find anything wrong great job! liked the symbolism

    ReplyDelete
  9. You used text evidence to back up your ideas really well, and I would have never thought to make music the main idea of my response. I agree with Leah that next time try to vary up sentence beginnings but overall you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice job of using a qoute. It makes it seem like you can relate the things you are talking about. It goes really well with what you were talking about. Really nice response Karen.

    ReplyDelete