Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Brass Knocker

Author’s Note: While reading the chapter, “Dr. Lanyon’s Narrative” in the novel Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde, I was appalled by the sense of responsibility that society feels they have to the world. Jekyll asks Dr. Lanyon for a favor, one that could possibly save his life, even though it puts Lanyon in danger. Although he could back out, Lanyon chooses to help Jekyl and decides, “an appeal so worded could not be set aside without a grave responsibility”(96). It made me wonder if those that always help their friends are truly strong people, or just afraid of feeling guilty. This poem is trying to show that sometimes obligation rids us of our free will. I tried using iambic pentameter, so if any of the lines seem off, please give me suggestions on how to fix the wording. Thanks.

Phone rings, sharp prongs pierce ears of those that hear

Eyes shift; timid yet brave, livid yet scared

Exhaust says stay, yet mind floods waves of fear

That move the hand to act, conscience ensnared.

***

Favors are asked by friends and foes alike

Instinct blurts acceptance without reason

The mind restrains its own instinct to strike

And it’s abused season after season

***

The line is drawn at sin and its despair

To shield the ever feeble ego, alas

The soul suffocates from the guilt filled air

And must answer to each knock of the brass

***

When responsibility comes knocking

Is it the strong or weak that are flocking?

2 comments:

  1. Karen, this was really good! I liked how it was short and you got your point across well! I somewhat did the same idea as you but I think yours went into better detail than mine! This was really good and I love how you decided to write it in a poem this time! Good job! I don't think that any of your lines were really off either because they all really flowed well together so good job with that also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, this was great. After the first line I was locked in, I actually imagined my ears being pierced with the sound of a phone ringing. I though it was amazing, great job.

    ReplyDelete